Apparently, ultimately, it was a… false alarm: the police, in large numbers, cordoned off the entire Jonquilles district of Nîmes this Tuesday afternoon. The police set up several roadblocks there. Children have been confined to schools. The Montpellier RAID even arrived as a reinforcement, and intervened in a building. Shortly after 6 pm, the alert was lifted.
A man called police and said he was holding two people, teenagers ages 14 and 18, hostage. He would also have said that he was going to cut their throats in the name of Daesh before attacking other children. According to police sources, it is a hidden number that was used to make the call.
Parents of the students had been asked not to pick up their children from school. A scare, no doubt. For nothing at all. The city of Nîmes has also sent an SMS to the parents of the students of all the schools to alert them.
Traffic has been disrupted for a long time in this area.
What a pity?
According to the Nîmes prosecutor, the penalties imposed on the perpetrators of the hoax can be very harsh: if the crime of slanderous denunciation is confirmed“five years in prison and a fine of 45,000 euros“.